Level of Difficulty
- There are a few options on cycling it.
- Mountain Bike – tough through the Lake District, less so after that though still some big climbs
- Road – we have a few options on routes from tough to intermediate and can advise you accordingly
- Hybrid – intermediate
How Many Days
- Route options are between 180 and 210 miles.
- Mountain Bike – advise 5-7 days
- Road – advise 3-5 days
- Hybrid – advise 4-6 days
The most popular by far is west to east. Primarily as you are more likely to have the prevailing wind at your back rather than in your face.
Doing Part Not All
- If you cannot spare the number of days to cycle it all in one go, it is equally as good to do particular sections and then do the rest on subsequent trips.
- We can advise and arrange on your logistics to your chosen start and end.
What To Take
We will supply you with our recommendations in our Information Pack sent to all customers 8 weeks ahead of your trip.
When To Go
Although previous weather conditions are not a reliable predictor for the future:
- April – can range from cold (often snow and frost) to warm and sunny. Season starting and so quieter, aside from Easter weekend
- May – most popular time, for good reason. Often the driest and pleasant temperatures. Wildflowers out in full bloom, plenty of nesting birds.
- June – sometimes wetter than May (not in 2018), shortest nights – you probably won’t see darkness for whole trip
- July – similar to June but quieter in terms of walkers in the latter part of month
- Aug – great in 2018 though can often feature rain. The Lake District is at its busiest, but nice on the fells. Heather in full purple colour
- Sept – often the second driest after May. Autumnal colours starting to come through. Light and shadows often the best for photos. As busy as May with regards Coast to Coasters
The closest ones to the start and finish (and hence easiest to travel to/from) are Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
How to get to St Bees from Airport (applies whether London, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
Train to Carlisle then local service to St Bees
Budgeting / Money Matters
- Our package includes everything except lunches (allow £6 a day) and evening meals (allow £20 for two course) along with any personal spending and snacks.
- Most places now take card payment but worth carrying around £30pp in cash as a float.
- We have good relationship with Dales Cycle Centre and Eden E-Motion and can facilitate your hiring of a bike – electric, mountain-bike, hybrid or road.
- We shall collect and return the bike on your behalf
Picking up Supplies Along the Way
- Main places you can do this are Grasmere, Ambleside, Keswick, Patterdale, Kirkby Stephen, Richmond and Robin Hood’s Bay.